Cauliflowers belong to the cruciferous family. It is a white flowering vegetable that is known to have many health benefits. This vegetable has a good proportion of sulphur compound and is also known to support the liver’s ability to neutralize toxins. The members of this family also have the ability to prevent cancers.
Here are the top 10 health benefits of Cauliflowers:
1. Cauliflower is a heart healthy vegetable. This means it helps in maintaining the heart and the cardiovascular system.
2. Cauliflower nutritional benefits include it being a rich source of fiber. This fiber helps in lowering our cholesterol levels.
3. Cauliflower also contains antioxidants. Antioxidants by themselves have many benefits - they act as an anti inflammatory agent and they help build a health immune system
4. Cauliflower also helps women during pregnancy. As it is rich in folate and also vitamins like vitamin A and vitamin B, it helps in growth of cells. This ultimately helps in the proper development of the fetus in the womb.
Cauliflower is also a good source of vitamin C which again is beneficial during pregnancy.
5. Cauliflower also contains calcium which has numerous benefits. Calcium helps to make our bones and teeth strong along with many other important functions like transmission of nerve impulses.
6. Cauliflower contains zinc, manganese, phosphorus, magnesium and also selenium and sodium
a. Zinc – helps in making new cells and also in healing wounds
b. Magnesium – helps the parathyroid gland which produces hormones needed for the bone to function normally
c. Phosphorus – helps in strengthening the bones
d. Selenium – helps in better functioning of immune system
e. Sodium – helps balance the fluids in the body
f. Manganese –helps in making and activating the enzymes
7. Cauliflower also helps in reducing the risk of cancer ex: – lung cancer, breast cancer, bladder cancer. Many of the vegetables that belong to the cruciferous family have been linked to reduce the risk of cancer ex:-broccoli, kale etc
8. Cauliflower also helps us to lose weight. Cauliflower contains vitamin C which is a key element to burn fat. And it also contains folates which again help in weight loss. One cup of cauliflower contains about 30 calories. It is one of the non-starchy food items that can be eaten in unlimited quantity.
9. Cauliflower helps the body to activate enzymes in the liver that aids in detoxifying many organs thus protecting the system from any harm.
10. To boost vitamin K content in your system, increase the cauliflower content in your daily diet. Vitamin k plays a key role in development of bones as it helps in development of bone cells. Not only that, if there is not enough vitamin K in the body, there will be an increased amount of bleeding in case of a wound or injury. This is because vitamin k plays an important role in the coagulation of blood.