Calamondin or calamansi, is a fruit tree native in Asia and is originally from china. Its other English common names are calamonding, calamandarin, golden lime, Panama orange, Chinese orange, and acid orange.It has spread throughout Southeast Asia, India, Hawaii, and Central and North America. The fruit is indigenous and widely cultivated in the Philippines and in neighboring northern parts of Indonesia. It is available year-round in the Philippines and is usually seen in its dark green state. When left to ripen it turns as tangerine orange. It is only 2-3 cm in diameter. A whole fruit provides calories, protein, fat, carbohydrates, calcium, phosphorous, iron, and citric acid.
The plant is characterized by wing-like appendages on the leaf stalks and have white or purplish flowers. Its fruit has either a spongy or leathery rind with a juicy pulp that is divided into sections. It has a sweet and sour taste.
Many Uses of Calamansi.
1. It can be a healthy juice provides 100% vitamin C.
2. Help to cleanse body toxins.
3. Useful for food recipes. Like in marination of meat, can also be combine for soy sauce to make a sauce for roaster beef etc.
4. Skin lightening. Nowadays calamansi became one of the main ingredients for skin lightening products like lotion, soap, and many other. BUt it maybe more effective to use directly buy rubbing on your skin.
5. It helps relief cough. A lemonade juice can help soften the phlegm in the lungs.
6. It takes away stains on clothes.
7. Eliminate itching and skin irritation.
8. Can be a deodorizer. It also helps whitens underarm.
9. The pulp of the fruit has also been proven to cure skin fungal infections.
10. Maintains Kidney Health, great tonic for the liver, helps prevent diabetes and lowers blood cholesterol.
Indeed calamansi makes feeling good and looking good inside and out.